Monday, October 8, 2007

Oct 8: The 40th Florida Governor’s Conference on Tourism

I’ve been attending the Florida Governor’s Conference on Tourism off and on over the years. Somewhere there’s even a dusty photo from 1979 (1980?) from an opening dinner with industry faces you might still know and recognize if you squint just a bit. So I had some idea of what was going to take place at the 2007 Conference held in August at the Boca Raton Resort and Club.

As usual, we were in for some informative seminars and several entertaining and inspiring guest speakers. I’m always amazed how each year I actually bring home some small piece of information that’s useful to my business.

As relevant as the “business” side of the conference, my participation continues for the “people” part as well. It’s those connections and re-connections with industry peers that keep me attending. Meeting old friends and making new ones.

Even though it’s been more than a month since the Conference, I just learned something that I never knew. The first Governor’s Conference which took place in 1967 was held in Fort Lauderdale at the Galt Ocean Mile Hotel. It was organized by the Florida Development Commission and Governor Claude Kirk.

Did you attend this year’s conference? What did you think of it? Will you go again? Welcome your thoughts….

No comments: