Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Nov 13: IKEA opens in Sunrise

According to local newspaper reports, the October opening day of the new Ikea store in Sunrise had less than expected attendance and a lot less disruption than anticipated to traffic on I-595.

I’m not familiar with any of their products personally nor have I ever visited an Ikea store or bought anything from their catalog. That doesn’t mean to say I won’t shop there some time in the future. In any case, I imagine that they have experienced corporate marketing people who decided that Florida was ready for their store and their products.

What does this have to do with the tourism industry you ask?

I was driving south on I-95 a few weeks before their store opening. On the right hand side of the road, just before Broward Boulevard, I caught out of the corner of my eye a large yellow billboard that said (to my fast reading) “IKEA is to Florida as sunburn is to tourists.”

So I started thinking – sunburn? You mean painful, red, itchy, unwanted, cancer-causing, and uncomfortable? Who wants sunburn? And, by word association, I thought who would want Ikea? Did I miss something? Was this posted by the competition?

What in the world did they mean by that sign?

No comments: